Sunday, September 30, 2018

Chromebooks to the Max

In many school districts, technology departments are investing in Chromebooks as student devices. Chromebooks are an economical (between $200-$300) cross between a tablet and a laptop in that they generally do not have storage ON the device (they work on a cloud-based storage system) but unlike tablets, they have keyboards already attached. Like tablets, many Chromebooks are touch-screen (though not all).
Chromebooks use the Google Suite of Apps, including Drive.
Within my school district, we have piloted both tablets and Chromebooks, and at my specific school, we chose to pilot Chromebooks. I participated in the inaugural issue of these devices within a Digital Learning Cohort, and that is actually where I first learned about the SAMR model (strangely enough, by the second year of the digital learning cohort, they were favoring a different anagram for technology integration.).
The SAMR Model goes deep.

Many teachers, when first given new tech, do 'simply' substitute the use of tech within the same tasks. With the Chromebooks, this might involve students using the Chromebook to type up an essay they would normally write in class, or maybe even type in a traditional computer lab (I have witnessed a lot of substitution with the use of the Smartboard, too, used only as a glorified overheard projector.). Augmentation of the essay with the use of a Chromebook might be the teacher making comments on the Google Doc - still not terribly deep (see graphic) on the SAMR model. Modification of the standard essay might require students to collaborate on the essay virtually while using the Chromebook. In my own classroom experience, the Chromebooks absolutely transform the collaboration of students. Students who normally shared a singular piece of paper are now looking at the same document, and as a result are exponentially more engaged in the task. More modification might include links to resources to be included in the essay. And finally, going to the deepest level, the redefinition of the task might be transforming the standard essay into an interactive hyperdoc, complete with a video segment, and maybe involving links to primary sources in the social studies classroom, news clips, or interviews with students around the globe.
While the SAMR model is indeed basic in nature (Green, 2014), and does not go far enough for use by technology departments (maybe why my own district's cohort ultimately abandoned it), its message is one that many teachers need to pay careful attention to. In practice, classroom teachers are often given tech without any kind of professional development, and forced to figure out - not even on their own, but with 25 students in the room - how to best effect growth with the use of said technology. Digging deeper with tech is vital to preparing our students for a future where the tech is used, but creativity and innovation are crucial.

RESOURCES
Using Chromebooks in Math Class
Ways to Use Chromebooks in the Classroom (How about a video chat with a grandparent? So cool!)

Green, L. (2014). Through the looking glass. Knowledge Quest, 43(1), 36-43.

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer I thought that your connection between the Chromebooks and the SAMR model was very well put together. My school chose to use the iPads. We had zero training, only a few teachers who were suppose to help and assist the other teachers. This was terribly frustrating. When it was my turn for training I had no clue what anyone was talking about. I was frustrated because I was being told to change everything that I was doing in the second semester and teach using a style that I was not comfortable with. Had I had real training and not a watered down version from someone and then given time to think about how I wanted to implement the iPads into my classroom things would have been different. Technology has the potential to really turn the education system around in the United States but the training and support is not keeping up with the technological demand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer- I am not familiar with Chromebooks, but I do feel that our district is implementing them more and more into schools. I have always used iPads and pretty much taught myself how to use them in the classroom. To be honest, oftentimes, I would ask my students for advice on a certain app. I am not embarrassed to say that they know more than I do! I am curious what new technology anagram your technology cohort is using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new anagram is TIPS (I *thought* for sure that was it, but then I wasn't so sure if I had confused our TIPS meetings.. it was WAY more in depth - which in my mind made it more inaccessible. Here is a link to more information:http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2015/03/TIPC_Teaching-Innovation-Progression-Chart.pdf

      Delete
  3. Jennifer, the connection you made between the SAMR model was well thought out. Your explanation of the use of the SAMR method with making a connection to the "redefinition" aspect was a great example of how technology can change the way students produce tasks or show their understanding of a given topic. The "redefinition" states technology allows for the creation of new task, previously inconceivable" and that is what we want. As teachers, we want students to think out of the box and to show their learning in new and meaningful ways. The students that we teach live in a digital age where paper and pencil tasks no longer keep them engage or on task. The "redefinition" of the SAMR model is very much like the "Technology as Transformation" (Hughes, 2018) of the R.A.T. model. In the R.A.T. model, transformation "reinvents aspects of instruction, learning, or curriculum in new and original ways. I have added a great Youtube.com video that explains the R.A.T. model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDGsLoahDDM

    ReplyDelete