Saturday, October 6, 2018

Flipgrid as an Accessibility Tool

Flipgrid is an online video posting board that is easy to use and easy to implement in the classroom or any educational setting. Frequently used to collect video discussion posts, Flipgrid has several applications as an accessibility tool, too.
Flipgrid is incredibly easy to use - click on the PLUS button!
Simply because of its video application, the program makes it a lot easier for those who struggle with written expression to contribute their (literal) voice to the classroom. Whether it is posting an opinion on a current event or answering a discussion prompt, it is a lot easier for students to add to the class with Flipgrid's platform.
In addition to contributing their voice, Flipgrid makes it possible for teachers to share their voice with students, even when they are not physically present. Educators could post video instructions for an assignment on a grid, elicit questions or comments on the same grid, and reply.
Although not technically under the umbrella of accessibility, one of my favorite things about Flipgrid is the engagement it fosters - not just with students, but beyond the classroom. As a Spanish teacher, I often asked students to introduce or interview family members, and in doing so, I brought them into our classroom. Family members could post for students on grids shared with them, or students could be directed to include friends and family members in their video posts, fostering a true learning community.
#flipgrid fever is real!
The Flipgrid promotes their platform (free for teachers this year, WOW!) with the hashtag #flipgridfever, and it is completely accurate - once you try Flipgrid, you will catch the fever, and you will easily start to imagine the possibilities within your classroom, school, or library. You will find yourself sharing videos of students with anyone who is willing to watch and promoting this platform to anyone who crosses your path. The best news - the students catch that fever, too!

If you catch #flipgridfever, there really isn't a cure, so check out these resources for even more ways to feed your fever:
https://www.hollyclark.org/2017/05/28/15-ways-to-incorporate-flipgridfever/

7 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I learned about Flipgrid at the beginning of this school year but have not used it in the library yet. Thanks for including the resource on using Flipgrid in the classroom. Next week I am starting a book club with a small group of 5th graders. One idea given was for students to make predictions and then go back to the end of the book to see if their predictions were correct. This has given me the idea to ask students to predict what they think "The Outsiders" will be about and then ask them to check their predictions at some point in the book. I also love the idea of using Flipgrid to promote school pride. I feel like our school has a lot of negative perceptions and this would be a great way to share all the wonderful things going on at Burns! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that your post was very informative. I especially like the #flipgridfever. I have not used flipgrid yet in the library but I do have plans to use it in the future. I want to use it for book reviews, both good and bad. This is a wonderful tool to use to foster students working together and teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have played around with Flipgrid recently, and already love the possibilities! Not only is it fun and engaging, but like you mentioned it offers students who may struggle with written expression an alternative way of sharing their ideas/thoughts/opinions. I have yet to meet a student (or adult) who does not love Flipgrid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Flipgrid! I know your main focus was that it is a great resource for students who struggle with written expression, but it is also very useful for differently-able students as well, even students who are members of the deaf community. Those students can use Flipgrid, just like everyone else to contribute to class discussions because it can record them signing their response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is such a great point! I love Flipgrid, too, I think the possibilities are endless, and the fact that is has become free for educators makes me love it all the more.

      Delete
  5. I have overheard some teachers talking about Flipgrid but had yet to investigate it myself. It sounds like a great resource. I especially like how you said that you use it to form a greater community by including your students' families. What a fabulous way to get more people involved in the class. I can't wait to try it to see how I can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,

    I have used Flipgrid many times in my classroom, but I never thought of it as an "assistive" tool until now. Flipgrid as you stated allows teachers to post directions/instruction to their students. This means that the teacher can differentiate the instructions based on the needs of the individual student, no matter their ability. Likewise, it also allows the students to show the teacher how they understand the topic in a way that meets their ability and needs. I also talked about this technology tool in my blog three as a great resource for librarians and teachers alike.

    ReplyDelete