Thursday, October 11, 2018

Kahoot

Kahoot is an engaging, interactive online gaming site that currently markets itself to both educators and corporate executives. Teachers can create free accounts on Kahoot (there is also a Kahoot! Pro version for educators which promises an extensive images library and the ability to collaborate with other teachers) to make or search for already-made quizzes and activities within their account. Teachers then direct their students to Kahoot.it with a game pin. Students can play on any device (iPad, smart phone, Chromebook), and the teacher can display the questions on just about any screen (SmartBoard or Promethean, or in a pinch even a desktop!).
Kahoots (noun, the multiple choice sets the teacher puts together) can incorporate images and sound clips, and the possibilities within the classroom are endless. While the best way to get started with Kahoot is with a topic review (anything you can put in a multiple choice or True/False format), it is also possible to use a Kahoot throughout a lesson to check for understanding (teach a concept, show the Kahoot question), and it is even possible to introduce topics through a Kahoot, which Kahoot calls Blind Kahooting.
Last year, I visited an underperforming school in a rough neighborhood. The students moved in to the class with lackluster, and ignored the teacher for most of the class. Then, a Kahoot! They voluntarily moved their seats in front of the board, screamed and yelled at every right and wrong answer (and yelled about the answers - why they made a mistake on one,  how they knew it was a certain answer because..), and when the "champion" was identified on the screen, she asked the teacher if she could take a picture of it for her SnapChat story! That is the power of Kahoot.

6 comments:

  1. When I was a classroom teacher I used Kahoot a lot. Because I had a very large ESOL and NES population in my school I would do a lot of small group Kahoot challenges. The students always got excited when they heard the music that announces a quiz. Great resource thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story about seeing the power of Kahoot! It can be difficult to engage students and get them interested in the classroom. Kahoot is one tool that helps teachers (and librarians) spark enthusiasm in students and allows them to learn and have fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fascinating to see how ferociously students engage with Kahoot? My students have also screamed out answers, moaned over their quick draw choices that led to wrong answers, and generally exhausted themselves by the end of the activity. Though I have moved more towards Quizlet, students still request Kahoot. Maybe we will save Kahoot for a lackluster day that needs a boost. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was intrigued with your experience of Kahoot at an underperforming school. The school I am currently working at would fall under that category, and I know that specifically in my class I have struggled with student engagement. It was nice to hear that they were excited about Kahoot and reading your blog has made me want to try Kahoot in my classes even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer,
    I have seen Kahoot used as a tool for professional development at the State Library and at a conference I once attended. It seemed like a neat tool. Also, I have heard other teachers sporadically talk about using it. I am glad we got a chance to really learn about it this week.
    Thank you for sharing your experience,
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,

    I also blogged about Kahoot!, as many of us did. This is a great resource for classroom teachers. The engagement that my students have while using Kahoot! is beyond compare. They are actively working together when we play the game as teams and competing against each other when we play individual mode. I love this tool as a review for the week's lessons.

    ReplyDelete